Tuesday 29 September 2015

More ramblings from the studio, and Quartz


Amongst the everyday plotting of exhibitions and new workshops, I have of course been pootling away in my studio, the great pleasure of life, before the next deadline of commission, residency, interview even office day bites into it.  So playing with off cuts from the Quartz exhibition I have made a Lectern Zither, a solid piece of larch charred and strung as if a book is opened on the top, with sides angled to make playing easier but also alluding to the early synthesisers, it has a great sound, looks good and is a pleasing addition to the instruments I can gig with.



Added to the increasing amount of instruments now littering my studio is a tail rocking piece that looks like the sail of a ship, this one is strung through the mast element with copper inserts to stop the string slicing through the oak, the resonance in this one is fantastic and builds up a real wall of sound, rocking the instrument whilst playing distorts the sound giving a wah wah effect, well almost.



Tonight is the opening of the Quartz exhibition in Taunton where I have four large standing sound pieces, when I installed yesterday the sun was behind the pieces so the photographs didn't come out to well but hope to take better ones tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment